True Pleasure in True Religion

"A holy heavenly life spent in the service of God, and in communion with Him, is, without doubt, the most pleasant and comfortable life any man can live in this world." - Matthew Henry

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

Hello to the blogging world. I hope that this page can turn into a forum that facilitates spiritual growth. By the Grace of God, I trust that we can participate in reasonable disputations and learn from our misunderstandings of eachother and varied viewpoints. I hope that this blog will be a safe-haven for the pursuit of truth in a world that often denies the existence of certitude.

Friday, March 10, 2006

Changing the Message with the Method

There has been much discussion and controversy over the "emergent movement." I understand that many of the "forefathers" don't like to call it a movement. But I think it's a little late for that. Whether it was their desire to start a movement or not, it has happened. One of the major problems with debating about this "movement" is that there are no concrete confessions or authorities that state what the emerging church actually believes. Yes, Mclaren has written quite a bit on the subject. But Tony Jones, Doug Pagitt, and Dan Kimball - among others - all seem to have their own ideas regarding what they want to accomplish.

But one of the questions that most proponents of the emerging movement have agreed upon is in regards to evangelizing: "How do we reach a post-modern culture with the message of Jesus Christ?" I think that this is a real concern. Being a student, I can attest to the effects that post-modernity is having (has had) upon the college crowd. Truth has become "a strange sort of fiction" (as Greg Koukl mentioned in his recent lecture during STR's Master's Series last month).

I hope we can all agree that the emerging culture needs to hear the Gospel, right? So, how can we, Christians in general, reach generation "e"? Well, the emergent answer is to change the method by which the Gospel is presented; make it more geared toward to the emerging culture's way of thinking. And I think that the motives behind this answer are valid. But the problem that I am seeing is that in the process of changing the method, often times, the message is also being changed.

This is something that simply cannot happen. If we are going to try to reach the emerging culture, one thing we cannot do is change the message. The message is very clear throughout Scripture: "And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved" (Act 4:12). This is something that we simply cannot compromise. Christians are called to weather the storms and stand in the way of ideological oppostion, all the while boldly proclaiming the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ which, like Him, is unchanging. When new philosophical ideologies arise, the message must stay the same. Our faith does not "rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God" (1 Cor. 2:5). And post-modernity is just that, "wisdom of men." It is a philosophical construct designed to question how knowledge is ascertained. And very often it denies absolute truth.

Granted, modernity was also a flawed humanistic philosophical ideology. I am in no way arguing that reason alone is a viable alternative to post-modernism. For it is by faith that "we understand that the worlds were prepared by the word of God" (Heb 11:3). But what I am saying is that the message of Jesus Christ will never be accurately preached if it is blended with post-modernism. Truth is something that by its very nature cannot be subjective. There are subjective beliefs. But truth, by definition, is something that is a fact. And either Jesus is "the Truth" or He is not. He left no room for debate.

So while I don't mind the removal of pews, the use of candle lit services, the massive consumption of Starbucks coffee, or the desire for spiritual "conversations," I do find it problematic that the message is sometimes being changed with the method.

7 Comments:

Blogger Aspiring Girl said...

I mentioned this topic in my "Persuasive Words" post. ;-) You're a great writer.

8:17 PM  
Blogger Frank Martens said...

I agree to a point :)

I think we can change certain things about method or style if you will up to a point.

I know churches that don't change their message but completly change the method and the focus ends up getting taken away from God.

Example: A church a used to attend had the pastor and two other guys repel out of the ceiling just before he gives his message. He didn't change the message, it was ok, but all excitement and attention went on him and how cool he now is because this church does cool things.

All focus got taken off the message.

Now you might say... "well yea that is changing the message"... I would say... "yes, but, definition is key :)"

That pastor would say he didn't change the message, which he didn't. But, something did change the message: ACTION/Method of presentation.

Therefore, I believe we must be careful in how we define what is allowed to change and what isn't. Or what is allowed to get added and what isn't.

Anyway, great post and you make a valid point.

Cheers

10:19 PM  
Blogger Austin said...

Frank,

Thanks for the comment. He repeled out of the ceiling?!?!?!? Okay, that would definitely be going too far. I beleive that we need to be very clear and concise when we make statements so they don't get misconstrued - I am refering to myself especially.

I personally beleive that the focus of everything must be on the God of Glory. That's it! I have heard a couple of convicting messages lately on this topic. And anything that detracts from Him is sin.

I am still working through my own understanding of things. And even the day after I wrote this post Matthew Henry caused me to re-evaluate some things (see post from March 11th).

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
[url=http://swkflymj.com/ubxn/sfrj.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://bcxfbzme.com/pusi/dbye.html]Cool site[/url]

8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
My homepage | Please visit

8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!
http://swkflymj.com/ubxn/sfrj.html | http://ledakjoz.com/kcas/dxrj.html

8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!
http://swkflymj.com/ubxn/sfrj.html | http://ledakjoz.com/kcas/dxrj.html

8:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home