True Pleasure in True Religion

"A holy heavenly life spent in the service of God, and in communion with Him, is, without doubt, the most pleasant and comfortable life any man can live in this world." - Matthew Henry

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

Hello to the blogging world. I hope that this page can turn into a forum that facilitates spiritual growth. By the Grace of God, I trust that we can participate in reasonable disputations and learn from our misunderstandings of eachother and varied viewpoints. I hope that this blog will be a safe-haven for the pursuit of truth in a world that often denies the existence of certitude.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

What Do You Mean?


This is by no means an exhaustive exposition; just some quick thoughts.

Today, my literature professor made the statement, "We are used to speaking in metaphor. We rarely ever say what we literally mean."

What he meant was exaggeration: "I'm starving." It's freezing cold in here." These were two examples that he mentioned.

This got me thinking a bit. Is this generally true of our daily conversations? Do we often exaggerate and use metaphor in our speech? And if so, is this really how we think (fictitiously and metaphorically)? And when we use such language, is it beneficial or detrimental?

Honestly, I can admit that I have a tendency to over-dramatize actual events. This is something that never seemed like much of an issue until recently. But now I realize that exaggeration is simply another form of lying. And I, by the grace of God, truly desire that my speech and my thoughts would be sincere in all respects so that I might better glorify Him.

After reflection, my perception of metaphoric language - in myself and others - is that it is not beneficial; but rather, it is quite detrimental. How often have you been in a conversation with someone and they have made the claim, "I hate that...(insert noun of choice)!"? Does that person really hate the object of distaste? Or is he or she merely momentarily embittered? By using the word "hate" - or any exaggerated clause or phrase - a cloud of confusion has automatically ascended over the conversation. Granted, the example I have given is weak. But I hope that you can understand my point.

So many conflicts have arisen theologically, politically, relationally, etc. due to the imprecise nature of our language usage. This is something that I see as unnecessary conflict. Our language is beautiful and very concise, if used properly.

Perhaps this has to do with the departure of reading. Instead of reading, we, America in particular, have become a movie-going people. We are shaped by the culture to which we are exposed. And since we are often exposed to "casual" conversations and extraordinary events, we don't know how to carry on formal conversations about actual events. And over time, the casual conversations transpire into thoughts. Perhaps we don't even think clearly - which I believe is absolutely true - because of our lack of conversational clarity. After all, our words are first formed in our minds...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm, absolutely.

8:59 AM  
Blogger Aspiring Girl said...

I think in evengelical speech regarding God and the things of God (theology) have been used and abused so much that the "love of God" is not what it should mean, or "glory" does not send a jolt of fear, reverence, and/or delight like it should...
I'm looking for an apologetic answer to the argument that morality evolved with evolution...any ideas? thanks.
do you use aol instant messenger?

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home