True Pleasure in True Religion

"A holy heavenly life spent in the service of God, and in communion with Him, is, without doubt, the most pleasant and comfortable life any man can live in this world." - Matthew Henry

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

Hello to the blogging world. I hope that this page can turn into a forum that facilitates spiritual growth. By the Grace of God, I trust that we can participate in reasonable disputations and learn from our misunderstandings of eachother and varied viewpoints. I hope that this blog will be a safe-haven for the pursuit of truth in a world that often denies the existence of certitude.

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Follow Up

Upon further reflection regarding the King James only controversy, I think I have realized that many "KJV Onlyists" are possibly entrusting their faith in the wrong object. I understand their desire to ascertain absolute certitude. But our hope must not be in any single translation of the Bible.

I heard a gentleman make the comment that he uses the KJV because that's the version with which he was saved. Understandable. But God saved him, not the KJV. Christ saved him, not the KJV. The regenerating work of the Holy Spirit saved Him, not the KJV. The Word of God saved him, not the KJV. Granted, the KJV was no doubt the means by which God chose to reveal Himself to this gentleman. But it was not the saving agent.

I do not believe that the power of the Word of God is limited to a single translation. God is the "author and finisher of our faith." And I believe that He is capable of preserving His Word in any language to bring His children from all over the Earth into communion with Himself. In Him alone - as revealed in the Scriptures - our faith and hope must rest. And anything that receives our faith, as opposed to Christ Himself, is a stumbling block.

Please don't misunderstand me; I don't mean that Scripture is not important. It is of utmost importance. It is the self-revelation of God Almighty. Without it, we wouldn't be able to know God. Which is why I can't support all English translations. But as far as I know, there are many great English translations that are all very accurate and equally inspired.


Oh what a joy it would be if the wheat would grow so high that the fences would no longer be seen!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home