True Pleasure in True Religion

"A holy heavenly life spent in the service of God, and in communion with Him, is, without doubt, the most pleasant and comfortable life any man can live in this world." - Matthew Henry

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

Hello to the blogging world. I hope that this page can turn into a forum that facilitates spiritual growth. By the Grace of God, I trust that we can participate in reasonable disputations and learn from our misunderstandings of eachother and varied viewpoints. I hope that this blog will be a safe-haven for the pursuit of truth in a world that often denies the existence of certitude.

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Exclusion in the Church

*Since this post, I have had the opportunity to speak with Mr. DeVries concerning his post to which I respond below. Apparently his post in no way referred to salvation. But rather his "use of the terms "exclusion" and "inclusion" were not dealing with salvation, but with boundaries and invitation". To see his response, go here and look for it under his original post - as well as a "thanks for the clarification" from me. With that said, I vehemently disagree with the position of the UCC - the denomination that funded the commercial - on their "ONA Program" (Open and Affirming Program). Click here to see what this is all about. And I understand what Mr. DeVries was attempting to say. But I still see one major flaw. The commercial he enjoyed wasn't saying that God calls all persons to repentance and faith. It basically asserts that God is not exclusive whatsoever, so it doesn't matter "where you are on life's journey." He still accepts you. And by acceptance they (UCC not Mr. DeVries) don't mention - or believe for that matter - that His acceptance must and will surely bring about radical life change. So, is God exclusive? Yes and no. He calls all persons to repentance and faith. But he in no way allows certain lifestyle choices to continue if one is truly a child of His.

No topic of which I am aware is more prevalent in modern (Emerging?) Evangelicalism today than the topic of exclusion in the Church. I fully understand that people are trying to guard the "Come to Me" aspect of Christ - which is often times lost in many scholastic circles. But in the process of trying to appeal to all persons, the truth is often sacrificed.

Here is a recent post by a gentleman named Mike DeVries. He makes the following statement in regards to an advertisement supporting inclusivism in the church:



It reminds me that Jesus reserved his harshest [sic] words for religious leaders - those who drew boundaries of who was in and who was out, those who chose the path of exclusion over inclusion, and the way of judgment over the way of love.

I think I understand what he is trying to say. But I think he is missing some crucial information. Jesus was harsh toward the Pharisees because of many reasons, not just there exclusiveness toward sinners - yes, that was a major point of dispute (Luke 15), but it wasn't the only point. He also condemned them because of the following:

1. They accuse Him - the Son of God - of being demon possessed (Mark 3:22).
2. They were the ones to whom the law was given. And those to whom much is given, much is expected (Luke 12:48).
3. They were hypocrites (Matt. 6:2,5,16; 15:17; Mark 7:6; Luke 11:44).
4. They were lovers of money, not God (Luke 16:14).
5. They were men "pleasers", not God "pleasers" (Matt 5-7).
6. They shut the kingdom of God from people (Matt 23:13).

The exclusion that angered Jesus was censorious exclusion. So while He did speak harshly of the Pharisees for their censorious, hypocritical exclusiveness, He was in no way advocating inclusivism.

Here is a copy of a refutation of his (Mike DeVries) article, which can be found here:



Hi Mike,

I don't know whether to laugh at the commercial (the ejector seat part - those people went flying!) or not. But it was definitely interesting.

I hope this isn't too long. But I feel that this is an extremely important discussion. I hope that you will read my refutation with patience, meekness, and a discerning heart - as I too hope that I will do the same in regards to any future interactions.

"It reminds me that Jesus reserved his harshed words for religious leaders - those who drew boundaries of who was in and who was out, those who chose the path of exclusion over inclusion, and the way of judgment over the way of love."

Absolutely - to an extent. Jesus was the one who ate with "sinners and tax collectors" (Luke 15) - the despised of the religious elites during the first century.

But as Romans 2:4 makes clear, "Do you think lightly of the riches of His kindness and tolerance and patience, not knowing that the kindness of God leads you to repentance?"

God is patient. He calls all men to embrace the Gospel of Jesus Christ, leading to repentance. He wants men and women of every tribe, tongue, nation, creed, etc to come to Christ in repentance, faith, love, joy, hope, trust, submission, and truth. And because He is holy and cannot look upon sin, there must be a covering - an imputation of His righteousness so that we can be made right with the God of Glory and Holiness (2 Cor. 5:21, 1 Peter 2:24, Isaiah 53).

"Jesus once said, "I am the way and the truth and the life." Perhaps Jesus was reminding us that his way of living was "the true way of living" - the way of grace, the way of accpetance, the way of embrace, the way of love, the way of generosity, the way of compassion, the way of inclusion, the way of forgiveness, the way of restortation."

Interesting that you quote this passage as a text supporting inclusion when if you read the rest of the passage he is actually being very exclusive: "Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me" (John 14:6). He is answering Thomas' question of how one can get to the Father, or heaven (verses 1-5). And His answer is exclusive. He says in effect, "I am the only Way to heaven."

I don't believe that Jesus is simply saying, "Follow my example." That would be impossible. We can't feed 4000 people from a couple loaves of bread and a few fish. We can't calm the seas. We can't walk on water. We can't raise the dead. We can't call ourselves "I AM." We can't call ourselves the "Lord of the Sabbath."

This doesn't mean that we ought not attempt to follow Christ's example. For clearly we are commanded to "be holy as He is holy." But we can't only assume that He was a good moral example. He was and is so much more. He is Lord. He is the eternal Son of God. He is "the Way, the Truth, and the Life."

He absolutely accepts all types of people, without exception. But He has radical demands for those that would come to Him: "I tell you, no, but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish" (Luke 13:3,5). These words of Jesus are loving, forgiving, and caring. But they are also stern and unwavering in accordance with the Truth.

Brother, please don't think that I am in any way attacking you. I am not. I am merely confronting your viewpoint. If I have in any way offended you by my "tone" (I appologize - one can't tell tone over the computer that well). But please know that I am in no way heated. I am merely pointing out things that I believe are apparent flaws in modern, liberal, neo-orthodox theology. And I trust that as fellow brothers in Christ we can continue to glorify Christ by seeking Truth through reasonable disputations.

Matt 9:13 - "For I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance."

Mark 2:17 - "They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance."

Matt 3:2 - "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand!"

All of Jesus' stern words - and there are many throughout the Gosplels - were intended to bring people to Him in faith. And He makes it clear that we must obey His commands if we are to be called lovers of God: "You are My friends if you do what I command you" (John 15:14). And what He commands is that the Gospel of His death and resurrection leading to justification, sanctification, and glorification, all to the glory of God, would be preached to all men, without exception (Matt. 5:16; 28:19-20; Rev. 22:17).

Here are a couple of verses in closing that are requirements for believers after true conversion:

1 John 3:9 - "No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God."

1 John 2:15,16 - "Do not love the world nor the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life, is not from the Father, but is from the world."

So in closing, thank you Mike for posting on such an important Christian truth.

We must love our enemies. We must love them as ourselves. We must love our brethren. We must actually exalt them (enemies and brethren) higher than ourselves. We must preach the Gospel that Jesus commanded, the Gospel of repentance leading to faith. Jesus made it clear that He came to reconcile sinners to God. But in the process, He knew that many would reject Him and His truth leading to this stern remark, "Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword" (Matt 10:34) and this one, "Do you suppose that I came to grant peace on earth? I tell you, no, but rather division" (Luke 12:51).

So while Jesus calls all persons to come to Him, for He alone is the Way to heaven, He in no way advocates, or is even tolerant of certain lifestyle choices, certain beliefs, and certain acts that many people in the church today attempt to claim are acceptable.

Again, I hope this wasn't too long. But I truly do feel that this is an extremely important discussion. Thanks for the forum.

May the Grace of God be with you.


In the Love of Christ Jesus our Lord,

Austin Smidt

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Austin, thanks for bringing this to light. I've wondered the same thing about the message that the "emerging" church is giving off. While I agree with all that you said in your response to the article, I think to only to be fair you might want to direct people to the author's reply to your response, where he clarifies what he was saying (and where you agreed with him).

Thanks again, and love your site.

11:56 AM  
Blogger Austin said...

Will do. Thank you.

7:10 PM  
Blogger Austin said...

By the way, while I trust that he and I may agree on this issue, I didn't say in my earlier response to him that I agreed with him. I merely thanked him for the clarification. I still think that by his use of the UCC's commercial, he aligned himself with their agenda - with which I trust that he in-no-way fully agrees. He might have like it because of its "come one, come all" aspect. But that's not the whole story. They believe that "all can come and serve - without changing - because God loves you" even if you live a life that is contrary to Scripture and the Cristian faith. That's the message to which I took exception originally. And when Mr. DeVries mentioned that he liked the commercial, I assumed (which is always dangerous) that he understood the UCC's background and agenda.

Thanks Again,

Austin

7:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Austin, thanks for your attitude and spirit in this. I've been a friend of Mike's for a while and know him quite well. He is no way condones the UCC position, as he and I have persoanlly talked about it together. I think he appreciated hte commercial due to the message in the commercial alone. I warned him about exactly what you talked about, the possibly aligning with their agenda.

Again, so appreciate your blog. It has been a blessing. Keep up the great work!

God bless!

9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home