True Pleasure in True Religion

"A holy heavenly life spent in the service of God, and in communion with Him, is, without doubt, the most pleasant and comfortable life any man can live in this world." - Matthew Henry

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

Hello to the blogging world. I hope that this page can turn into a forum that facilitates spiritual growth. By the Grace of God, I trust that we can participate in reasonable disputations and learn from our misunderstandings of eachother and varied viewpoints. I hope that this blog will be a safe-haven for the pursuit of truth in a world that often denies the existence of certitude.

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Funny, funny, funny... and a bit sad.

Last weekend I ran into a friend of mine in Santa Monica. He and I have had many great discussions in the past concerning the doctrines of grace - with me being a Calvinist and he being a "2 1/2 or 3 pointer." You know, it has really been a great test in my life to love my brothers when they are wrong... jk.

But all joking aside, he is a brilliant young student of Scripture and our conversations are always edifying and thoughtful.

This last weekend, he told me a story of a time when he, being from the south, visited an Independent Baptist church. As many of you know, Independent Baptists are often times KJV Onlyists. Well, this church was no exception. Apparently, my friend, Ryan, was sitting in a church service and the preacher began to tell a story about the new youth pastor that they had just recently fired. They fired him because he used a New International Version (NIV) of the Bible. And then he said the following:

If the King James Version was good enough for the apostle Paul, then it's good enough for me.

Read that once more if you have to. What the heck????? Apparently, according to my reliable source, he was dead serious!!! No smile, no chuckle, nothing. Now, to be fair, I am going to give this preacher the benefit of the doubt and assume that he heard this from somewere else. There is no way that any well-read student of Scripture could make this type of unsupported, foolish, down-right ignorant claim.

Ah well. I just wanted to share my new favorite man-I-wish-I-had-never-said-this-in-public line.

2 Comments:

Blogger Aspiring Girl said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:10 PM  
Blogger Aspiring Girl said...

Speaking of those lines, check this out:
http://puritanbelief.blogspot.com/
2006/05/watch-out-for-pastors.html

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home