True Pleasure in True Religion

"A holy heavenly life spent in the service of God, and in communion with Him, is, without doubt, the most pleasant and comfortable life any man can live in this world." - Matthew Henry

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

Hello to the blogging world. I hope that this page can turn into a forum that facilitates spiritual growth. By the Grace of God, I trust that we can participate in reasonable disputations and learn from our misunderstandings of eachother and varied viewpoints. I hope that this blog will be a safe-haven for the pursuit of truth in a world that often denies the existence of certitude.

Sunday, June 04, 2006

An Unrelenting Enemy and An Everlasting Joy

Before I was a Christian, my life consisted of self-indulgence to the highest degree possible. There wasn't too much that I said "no" to. The effects were obvious: a downward spiral in my spiritual condition, mixed with all manners of ungodliness. Then the day came when my life was changed forever. God, by His infinite grace, for no explainable reason, breathed life into an otherwise dead young man. Since that day my life has changed dramatically. The old things really have passed away; all things are becoming new to me. I am beginning to see the world, more and more each day, from a new perspective. Activities that were once sin-filled have been cleansed of corruption, and I am able to find a purified joy in these streams of pleasure (art, music, sports, education, etc). I am beginning to see the beauty of God's craftsmanship in all creation. Granted, I am still flawed in the extreme. But my hope and trust is that through His sanctifying grace He will open the eyes of my soul to more of His beauty in this - often times - ugly world.

Which leads me to my main point. This world is ugly. And sin infiltrates every aspect of life, hiding in the unseen crevices and around dark corners, waiting for the opportune time to jump out and mug the unsuspecting Christian in his or her afternoon joy-walk. And I think that most of us who study the Word and have solid support groups - as I have been given - are aware of this imminent danger in a cognitive sense. But cognizance alone won't prepare us for battle against this clever foe. Especially when it disguises its dreadful appearance with white robes.

The battle against sin is hard - it is really hard. As Kris Lundgaard says in his book The Enemy Within, "there is never a cease-fire with sin." It is a constant barrage from every front.

When I became a Christian I felt a huge sense relief - freedom. My chains were loosed. And my once shackled feet were now given space and reason to dance. The afflictions, the guilt, the worry, and the trivialities all seemed to fade away. But as the Lord has so graciously ushered me through my first year of new life, He has not just allowed me to float around this world with naivete regarding indwelling sin. He has shown me, though not in its fullness (for who could withstand such a sight?) the wretchedness of sin, in my own self and in this world system. This sobering look into the face of sin ("the mirror") has produced some upsetting times. But oh how wonderful the times have been when my Lord has brought me through the torrent and planted my feet on solid ground! All through the storms my hope and faith fluctuated. But He was faithful throughout.

There is some paranormal sensation and peace that I have experienced in the days following one of these little battles with sin - after the time of sorrow and repentance. It is almost as if the Lord picks me up in His arms and kisses me on the forehead; this act of love and mercy completely changes my disposition. I don't deserve His care in these times. He ought to condemn me. But no, He chooses to extend mercy. Fully can I exclaim with the prophet Micah the following:

But as for me, I will watch expectantly for the LORD; I will wait for the God of my salvation. My God will hear me. Do not rejoice over me, O my enemy. Though I fall I will rise; Though I dwell in darkness, the LORD is a light for me. I will bear the indignation of the LORD Because I have sinned against Him, Until He pleads my case and executes justice for me. He will bring me out to the light, {And} I will see His righteousness (7: 7-9).

The confidence in this passage is amazing. Micah is so confident that he will be brought back into the light. Appropriately, his confidence is in nothing pertaining to himself. Rather, he trusts fully upon the Lord. He is Micah's hope. He is Micah's light. He is Micah's salvation.

This passage is one of the many wonderful, hope-giving texts that deals with sin, guilt, repentance, hope, faith, and God's all-encompassing salvific sovereignty. This confidence that we see in Micah should be the same among us. God is the same, and we have His promise that He will be with us, always (Matt 28:20).

So when sin attacks like a lioness pouncing an elk, let us be prepared. And when we fall - when we are bruised and broken - let us sprint, let us hobble (however we get there, let's just get there), into the arms of our Father who will bring us into His light.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home